EDDIE FROM OHIO DECEMBER 2020 EMAILER
Glad Tidings To You, Edheads
We'll get the bad news out of the way, and that is the annual Birchmere weekend shows over the MLK weekend will not be happening. True, it's a bummer, given the EFO 30th Anniversary theme we had wrapped around it, but given the current pandemic situation it has been decided that it's best not to put anybody at risk, especially during the highly vulnerable colder season. Here's to better times around the corner, with vaccines coming, and society crawling back to some version of normal, whatever it may look like like.
This newsletter is not ALL bad news as there are wonderful things to share. Julie found a beautiful performance video to upload, with Eddie's help. Robbie has a new podcast. Mike has a new EP due out in early 2021.
Despite the present status of the slowed cruise industry , we're still a GO (until we hear otherwise) for our cruise next August, celebrating our 30th Anniversary!
Below is an update from our friends at Fan Club Cruises addressing many of the questions about upcoming plans.
For all Cruise information, visit here
Here's some other EFO related news...
JULIE SHARES A TENDER PERFORMANCE WITH HER DAD FROM 10 YEARS AGO
As we sadly reported last emailer, we said goodbye to our number one Edhead, Julie's Dad - Joe Murphy, who passed away on November 9, at age 93. Julie found a wonderful duet she sang with her Pop from a decade ago.
For more about the video, here's a few words from Julie Murphy Wells herself: I will never forget this night in 2010 at the Barns of Wolftrap, and I am so very thankful that I was able to find it, in my very messy office. Thank you Haynal Papp for recording it and thank you Eddie for knowing what to do with a DVD-R, so that I could share it with others. I had performed the first song, “When You See What I See” before, I think first in 1994 at The Birchmere. It was written about Joe and me, and how he was very wary about my decision to pursue music full time. That worry lasted all of about two months. He rarely missed an EFO show. When I was preparing for the Barns show, I knew I wanted to perform this song but also wanted to acknowledge my love for my Dad, and for trusting me to make my own decisions and to deal with any consequences myself. That’s where the second song, “Unforgettable” entered the picture. I remember Joe whispering to me at some point that he was nervous, but you wouldn’t know it. He performed it like a pro, and at age 82 no less. I hope you enjoy it. I will treasure this memory.
Here's the link to the video
ROBBIE HAS STARTED A NEW PODCAST ON PATREON
Here is EFO's Robbie Schaefer in his own words letting you know about his new podcast "Walk With Me":
MICHAEL CLEM RELEASES EP "RIVANNARAMA" ON JANUARY 12
JAMMIN JAVA RELEASE DATE ON SATURDAY JANUARY 9
Having written a bunch of tunes over the pandemic slowdown, EFO's Michael Clem has teamed up with friend/producer Rusty Speidel to record five of them for an upcoming EP Rivannarama, due out Tuesday, January 12, 2021 at all the common online market places for your streaming needs (iTunes, Amazon, Spotify, etc.). On Saturday, January 9, Clem will make his annual bday show appearance at Jammin Java in Vienna VA for a special CD release date. Limited hardcopies will be made, and each ticket holder in attendance will receive ONE FREE COPY. Additional copies will be available for purchase at the show. Billed as "Indoors & Distanced" - this show will be limited capacity (55), and a smaller act (duo with Rusty as opposed to full band), but promises to be a whole lotta of fun. Visit https://www.jamminjava.com/e/-indoors-distanced-michael-clem-with-rusty-speidel-127054676959/ for details.
Here's his Central VA appearances for the month of December (safe social distance practiced)
Sa/19 duo w/ Rusty Speidel @ 12 Ridges Vineyard, Vesuvius VA 1-4pm
Su/27 duo w/ Rusty Speidel @ Glass House, Free Union VA 2-5pm
and in January 2021
Sa/9 duo w/Rusty Speidel @ Jammin Java, Vienna VA 7:30pm - **EP Rivannarama Release**
also in February 2021
Clem will offer his four week online course on "Songwriting for Singer/Songwriters"
For all things MC visit http://michaelclem.com
MC's Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/michaelclemmusic
EFO 30th ANNIVERSARY CRUISE UPDATE (FROM FAN CLUB CRUISES)
While the Cruise industry is presently quiet, August 2021 is a whole nine months away, so here's a message from our faithful trip coordinator friends at Fan Club Cruises:
- The CDC has removed the 'no sail' order and replaced it with a 'conditional sail' order. Celebrity is busy working on the protocols needed to be allowed to sail
- Celebrity commissioned a blue ribbon panel on health issues which issued a massive report on a whole slew of things to make cruising safe going forward. See https://www.celebritycruises.com/health-and-safety for some more information
- With the Pfizer vaccine submitted for emergency authorization and Moderna about to submit as well, I'm estimating that vaccines will be widely distributed by Jun/Jul 2021 (my best guess, not any clinical guarantee). That means we are in good shape for people to be completely safe with a August 2021 sailing. Final payments are due early May, so hopefully folks will feel safe making those payments.
- To help support that, Celebrity has extended their "Cruise with confidence" program to include anyone who booked or books our sailing prior to January 31. This means that they can get a 100% future cruise credit up to 48 hours before sailing should they not feel safe for our cruise. We could promote this to fans who haven't yet booked, as they can book now and have that same protection
- One more note: Alaska sailings are dependent not just on CDC approval but also on the Canadian government allowing ships into their ports. I have every reason to believe that, once the vaccine is distributed, Canada will allow ships in again. Canada has been more aggressive in their Covid control rules, so we just wanted everyone to be aware of that.
EDDIE FROM OHIO’S 1992 LIVE! AT THE BIRCHMERE CASSETTE RE-RELEASED!
Our first recording was a cassette - looong out of print, but it’s NOW AVAILABLE FOR DIGITAL DOWNLOAD!
On April 14, 1992, EFO took part in the WAMA Crosstown Jam. Our multi-act showcase was at The Birchmere in Arlandria VA (its legendary 2nd location directly on Mt Vernon Ave, blocks from the current locale). The wonderful house sound engineer, Billy Wolf, honored our request to make a board tape of our set. We couldn't believe the results of his beautiful mix, and decided to make a cassette for sale at our shows - a tape we referred to as "The 6 Pack". We moved a whole bunch of units at 5 bucks each, and it marked the beginning of growing our audience around our original music, and not just our covers. It also marked the beginning of an incredible relationship with Billy, who essentially took us under his wing, mentored us, and worked with us in earnest in the studio (producing 8 albums!) as well as other live projects. BOOya, Billy!
This recording has been out of circulation for some time, but a recent discovery of a fairly clean copy inspired us to make it available again. Hear us in all our infant glory (two acoustic guitars & hand percussion -- as well as Robbie on some killer guirro on track 5).
Go back in time to the days of Robbie's fanny pack, Mike's mullet, Eddie's dashiki, & Julie's midi dress w/combat boots. No pictures, just audio. You'll simply have to "imagine us" while you listen.
EDDIE FROM OHIO WOLF TRAP VIDEO
In case you missed it, our friends at Wolf Trap released a live performance of your folk foursome for their "Park Pop-Ups" series. The video is still up for your viewing pleasure:
EFO 3 SONG SET CAPTURED ON VIDEO IN NYC
While we were at the ever-hospitable City Winery in New York City, we partook in one of their fine offerings: an intimate live video, professionally shot and edited called “Cellar Sessions, One on One”.
See the results for yourself on our video page
EFO MUSIC ON THE INTERNET
All of EFO’s music is available for digital download at https://www.amazon.com/s?k=eddie+from+ohio&ref=nb_sb_noss_1
Hard copies (what are left) are now only available at our live performances, but all digital downloads are available at iTunes, Amazon, and others.
EFO SHIRTS ARE BACK!! (perfect Holiday gift if you order NOW)
All you Edheads who've been waiting to replace your EFO swag - well, now's your chance. Check out http://www.redbubble.com/people/eddiefromohio Red Bubble's EFO Site. Our good friend and master artist Oslo, has put up some past logos, and now you can design your own shirts, hoodies,even a cell phone case! Pick your color, pick your style, pick your logo - it's so easy and PayPal-friendly. See more from Oslo, at his website, http://oslographics.com
EFO SHOWS OF YORE UPLOADED FOR YOUR LISTENING PLEASURE
Many shows have been uploaded to http://archive.org/details/EddieFromOhio.
Performances from all over the country at all different stages in our quarter century career.
TWITTER- Follow us @virginiasoul
LIKE US ON FACEBOOK - Lots of news gets posted there, too.
BLESSINGS TO YOU THIS HOLIDAY SEASON!
email us at email@example.com
- EDDIE FROM OHIO JULY 2021 EMAILER
- EDDIE FROM OHIO JUNE 2021 EMAILER
- EDDIE FROM OHIO MAY 2021 EMAILER
- EDDIE FROM OHIO'S APRIL 2021 EMAILER
- EDDIE FROM OHIO'S MARCH 2021 EMAILER
- EDDIE FROM OHIO's FEBRUARY 2021 EMAILER
- EDDIE FROM OHIO DECEMBER 2020 EMAILER
- EDDIE FROM OHIO NOVEMBER 2020 EMAILER
- EDDIE FROM OHIO OCTOBER 2020 EMAILER
- EDDIE FROM OHIO SEPTEMBER 2020 EMAILER
- EDDIE FROM OHIO AUGUST 2020 EMAILER
- EDDIE FROM OHIO MID-JULY 2020 EMAILER